Language of Application: All applications MUSTbe submitted in English
We are pleased to announce the “Call for Applications” for two of our funding programmes:
- AGNES-PAWS Intra-Africa Mobility Grant for Junior Female Researchers’. This Grant is designed for “Programme Advocating Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics” (PAWS)
- AGNES Intra-Africa Mobility Grant for Junior Researchers (generally for Male and Female candidates)
These two grants are generously funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and with support of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH). The two Mobility Grants for Junior Researchers aim to strengthen the scientific capacity and networking of young researchers in Africa through active co-operation of AGNES and potential AGNES members. It further supports the alumni of the AvH in their efforts towards mentoring high potential junior researchers, helping them to access international networks of scientific excellence.
The AGNES Intra-Africa Mobility Grant and AGNES-PAWS Intra-Africa Mobility Grant enable doctoral students from sub-Saharan African countries to spend research stays of 1- 2 months at a university/research institute in another sub-Saharan African country (hereafter referred to host institution), where they will be collaborating with an experienced researcher (hereafter referred to as scientific host). The proposed research must be part of the work towards the Doctoral research, including but not limited to bench work, laboratory studies, use of library resources and write up of thesis or part of the thesis. Eligible junior researchers need to demonstrate the relevance of their work for further development of their home countries in sub-Sahara Africa. The Grant aims to be as financially comprehensive as is reasonably possible for a short stay outside the borders of the applicant’s country, covering travel and subsistence, and includes a research allowance to the host institute on request to cover some of the research expenses.
A maximum Grant amount of EUR 2300 and EUR 3000 is earmarked for 1 and 2 months stays, respectively.
III. ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCESS
To be eligible, candidate must (1) hold a Bachelor degree with at least 70 % average or Second-Class Upper Division and the average grade at MSc level must be at least 75 %. (2) Candidate must present evidence of publication. Publication of at least one article in non-predatory academic journal with indexation will be considered for ALL Sciences and Engineering while publication of a Conference Proceeding or Policy Brief or Monograph will be considered for ALL Humanities.
On top of your proposal and in your CV, indicate whether you are applying for the AGNES Mobility Grant or AGNES-PAWS Mobility Grant. The applicant may be from any academic discipline but must be officially registered for Doctoral degree at a university/tertiary institute in sub-Sahara Africa, must be a national of a sub-Saharan African country, and must have already published. Applicants must demonstrate clearly that their work is relevant towards development in sub-Saharan African countries and cannot be conducted in the home country. Only applicants with an identified scientific host and mutually agreed- upon proposal/work schedule will be considered for the Grant.
IV. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (Maximum size= 8MB)
Complete applications must include the following:
- a) A short research/project proposal (not more than 5 pages) from the junior scientist (applicant) with a short outline of the proposed research activity and a work schedule for achieving the aim(s) of the research project at the host institution. The scientific host must agree in writing to the proposal and time schedule. On top of your proposal, indicate whether you are applying for the AGNES Mobility Grant or AGNES-PAWS Mobility Grant.
- b) A standard CV of the applicant (use the template attached) and official proof of registration for the postgraduate degree (only current Doctoral students are eligible). On top of your CV, indicate whether you are applying for the AGNES Mobility Grant or AGNES-PAWS Mobility Grant.
- c) Copy of the official Academic transcripts of applicant, reflecting the grades obtained in the undergraduate and any postgraduate study. Please supply the official explanation of the grading system.
- d) A list of published articles in non-predatory journals (include an e-copy or screenshot of at least the Title/Author page)
- e) Travel costs (by land or economy class flight): supply two quotes for the journey (including return travel) between the applicant’s country of residence and the country of the host institute).
- f) Estimated cost of living (rent, meals, local transport, health insurance) at the host institute. It is expected that applicants themselves will conclude a valid health insurance for the re-search stay. Scientific hosts and host institutes are expected to assist applicants in finding affordable accommodation and to advise them on establishing subsistence estimates.
- g) Letter of invite from the scientific host: (i) confirming that a place to work will be available at the indicated period, (ii) a binding declaration from the host institution requesting an amount of the research cost allowance. The amount of EUR 100 per month and EUR 200 per month, respectively, will be deduced from the total grant amount for Humanities & Social Sciences, and Natural & Life Sciences and Engineering Sciences, to cover bench fees.
Please, note that AGNES-PAWS is specific for sciences only (STEM). Therefore, application in Arts and Social Sciences will not be accepted for AGNES-PAWS.
Interested doctoral students should submit their electronic applications directly to the AGNES Desk via email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
Please use this email format for sending applications:
|From||Candidate’s email address|
|Subject:||“2020_AGNES Intra Africa mobility grant” or “AGNES-PAWS Intra Africa mobility grant (Select your application type and delete non- applicable)|
|Attachments:||1. All the required documents listed in IV above, preferably in PDF format.2. All supporting documents must be labelled with your surname first3. All files (TOTAL) size should not be more than 8MB.|
|Message:||Please find attached my application the 2020_AGNES Intra Africa mobility grant” or “AGNES-PAWS Intra Africa mobility grant. Thank you.|
Candidate’s name and address
For the sake of emphasis, please, ensure that your total file size is not more than 8 MB.
V. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
All applications MUST reach the AGNES desk by March 31st, 2020 at 00.00 GMT.
All applications that do not follow indicated guidelines or with a missing required document will automatically be rejected. Late applications will not be accepted.
VI. AMOUNT AND USE OF THE GRANT
This once-off Grant cannot be used to fund stays retroactively, i.e. not prior to July 1st 2020, and all stays must be completed by 30th October. The recipient of the Grant and her/his scientific host must each email a signed letter of acceptance and contractual agreement to the Governing Board of AGNES within seven days of receipt of the offer. On completion of the research stay, Grantees and scientific hosts are both expected to report to AGNES on the progress and success of the collaboration.
VII. BUDGET MAXIMA (all expenses included)
1 Month: up to EUR 2300 1.5 Months: up to EUR 2650 2 Months: up to EUR 3000
VIII. SELECTION MEETING
Selection meeting will hold in May 2020 and only selected candidates will be notified. Commencement of research stays: earliest is July 1st 2020 and latest to be completed by October 30th 2020.
For any question, please contact:
- Prof Dr O. Clement Adebooye (Secretary of AGNES). Email: ocadebooye@daad- alumni.de
- Mrs Laurenda Sinsin (AGNES Office manager). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org