ECOSYSTEMS SERVICES AND BIOSPHERE RESERVES IN BENIN
The nature provides human with diverse benefits referred to as ecosystem services (ES), usually categorized as common goods. Assessment and economic valuation of ES are of increasing interest with emerging tools and methods undergoing experimention and validation processes. In the framework of the project EVAMAB ‘Economic valuation of ecosystem services in Man and Biosphere reserves’ funded under the agreement between the Belgium Federal Public Planning Service Science Policy (BELSPO) and the UNESCO-MAB Programme, the Laboratoire de Biomathématiques et d’Estimations Forestières (LABEF) with the support of the Royal Institute of Natural Sciences of Belgium (IRSNB) will organize a workshop on the following topic : Biosphere Reserves and Ecosystem services : Diversity, importance and economic assessment and valuation, from 27-28 september 2018 at Hôtel Beau Séjour, Natitingou (Rep of Benin).
The workshop aims at informing and sensitizing different stakeholders (Scholars, local governments, policy and decision makers, NGOs, Parc managemenent Agencies, etc.) on the main ES delivered by Biosphere reserves of Benin as well as on some management approaches. Specifically, it aims at
- introducing the abovementioned stakeholders to the ES concept ;
- sharing the EVAMAB research findings on ES on Biosphere Reserve of Pendjari;
- sharing knowledge and experiences on tools and methods used for ES assessment and valuation;
- develpping networking to advance ES-science in Benin.
- Importance of ES in Biosphere reserves in Benin;
- Importance of ES for bordering local people of Biosphere reserves;
- ES assessment and valuation methods ;
- ES management approaches.
- Policy and decision makers (Ministries, Local governments, NGOs etc.);
- Biosphere reserves management agencies (African Parks, etc.);
- Scholars (Universities, Research institutes etc.);
- Local communities (AVIGREFs);
- Civil society organizations working on natural resources issues;
Please send your abstract to : email@example.com
The abstract may contain:
- the title (20 words max);
- name, address and affiliation of authors ;
- an abstract of 250 words max (Word format, Times New Roman, size 12) describing, the background, the objectives, methodology and the main findings;
- key words (8 words max).
Please consider the participants are not all scientists, then keep the abstract and presentation easily understandable by non specialists. Do not hesitate to use graphical abstract.
Accomodation and other assistance
The presenters of the selected abstracts will receive assistance for accomodation, catering and transport.
Save the dates
- Deadline for abstract submission : Juillet 31, 2018
- Notification of selected abstracts: August 30, 2018.
- Deadline for powerpoint presentation submission: September 20, 2018.